Re: Sealing a tub drain

To: "Donald H Locker" <dhlocker@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing a tub drain
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:56:30 -0500
Any "professional" plumbers out there will say I'm all wrong, but IMHO
plumber's putty is something used to insure eventual call-backs for
plumbers.  Don't seat toilets with it, don't seat drains with it.
Personally, I've never bought an ounce of plumber's putty, but I sure have
scraped lots of it out and permanently replaced it with good products.

Tub drains and sink strainers can be permanently sealed with an application
of silicone RTV onto the clean mating surfaces upon installation.  Sorry,
but if you've got putty in there and intend to seal it from inside or
outside now without disassembling the joint and cleaning out the putty
first, good luck - but I bet it's going to leak again.

It IS a lot harder to disassemble the siliconed surfaces later, but a
_little_ heat makes it come apart just fine.

Rant mode off   ;-)

Karl