Re: Sealing a tub drain

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Sealing a tub drain
From: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:39:30 -0400 (EDT)
> Any "professional" plumbers out there will say I'm all wrong, but IMHO
> plumber's putty is something used to insure eventual call-backs for
> plumbers.  Don't seat toilets with it, don't seat drains with it.

  This is just one data point, but my wife redid a bathroom in our house a
few years ago. Sealed the drain with putty. Seems fine, the room
underneath would have a stained roof in a hurry if it did leak...

  It was hard to make the pipe that the tub sat on exactly the right
dimensions to line up and screw in the drain, but when we got it, it
seems fine now years later.