Tube attaches to basement Laundry tub--What does it do?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tube attaches to basement Laundry tub--What does it do?
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:18:42 -0400
Hey All,

My friend called and asked If I knew anything about plumbing (answer-
somewhat!).  He said that in the basement Laundry room there is a small
tube that attaches to the faucet.  This tube is broken by the wall, so it
leaks every time the faucet is turned on.   As I recall he also said that
the tube was very old and "spongy/Fragile".  They had a plumber replace
part of the tube a while ago with what looks to be copper tube with
compression fittings.

I can't understand what this tube could be for or why it would be connected
to an intermediate faucet that might never be turned on!

Pictures are worth 1000 words..,,,,
http://www.sentex.ca/~luckyone/DSCF0387.JPG
http://www.sentex.ca/~luckyone/DSCF0389.JPG

Thanks,