RE: Lead battery adapters

To: "Shop-Talk Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lead battery adapters
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:03:49 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

>> I've been using a Miata replacement battery from Westco
>> for a few years in my 67.5 Datsun Roadster.. Last time
>> I bought one it was  about $65, including shipping,
>> rather than the $110+ that Mazda gets.
>
> Miata batteries from Mazda have a tubing system to vent
> the gases out of the trunk. The replacement battery would
> be great for secondary uses, but I was cautioned to use
> the original equipment type as a replacement.

The OEM Miata battery is a sealed AGM battery.  The vents are there for
"emergency" - any catastrophic problems that would cause the battery to
vent gases.  Normally an AGM battery will never vents gas like a
traditional lead-acid battery.

The WestCo battery is also an AGM battery and is a direct replacement
for the Miata's OEM battery (after about 9 years, I finally had to
replace my OEM battery with a WestCo).

The AGM batteries behave differently than regular batteries -
specifically when discharged they must be charged at a slow rate (only
an amp or so).  If people let the battery run dead (leave the lights on
for instance), a jump will get the car restarted, but driving around
will not re-charge the battery.  This lead to lots of complaints and
Mazda having to replace batteries that really only requires 24-48 hours
on a slow charger.

The result was that Mazda's "official" dealer replacement battery is a
traditional lead-acid battery (the OEM AGM batteries are NOT available
from Mazda).  Lead-acid batteries have to have the "emergency" vent
tubes connected since the lead-acid battery constantly gives off fumes.
Unfortunately, lead-acid batteries have other problems (corrosion for
instance), and the best solution (for a Miata anyway) is to use a
replacement WestCo battery (or other AGM battery).

Even if I have a normal battery in the engine compartment, I try to get
one with vent tube fittings.  I will install a plastic hose to the
vents, and run the tube to the underside of the car.  I've greatly
reduced battery corrosion problems with $0.50 of tubing...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA