Re: LED "Shake" flashlights

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: LED "Shake" flashlights
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:01:28 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Randall wrote:

> shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
> http://fatchancegarage.com
>
>>    I got one for Christmas a year or two ago.  If I shake it for like a
>> week, it makes a brief flash like a turnsignal.
>
> That's maybe a little worse than I've heard from others, but not much.  The
> consensus seems to be that if you're stuck in absolute darkness with no
> other light source, a "shake" flashlight is better than nothing.   But
> otherwise it's never going to replace a battery-powered flashlight.
>
> Even the more realistic manufacturers claims say you have to keep reshaking
> them every minute or two, for 10-15 seconds each time.

   I have one of those squeeze flashlights and it works fine, but you
have to keep squeezing (pumping) continuously... no battery onboard. I
can probably do it for quite a few minutes without going insane, at
least long enough to get matches and light some candles.

   If it was LED instead of bulb, it would probably require less hand
motion and would be useful.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, trevor@boicey.com