Just Got a Cable Modem

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Just Got a Cable Modem
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:23:11 -0400
I need to connect computers in two different rooms to the cable modem
and I have lots of questions. I already have an ethernet in each room
connecting all the computers in it. I figure I can use wireless,
powerline or wired ethernet to link them up.

1. I can't find a simple wireless link. I just want a wireless link
between the two nets. Everything I've found is designed so that each
computer in the other room needs to have it's own wireless card. That's
expensive and unnecessary in my setup. Does anyone make a simple,
inexpensive wireless link that will connect two ethernets a short
distance apart? It would be even better if one end was a router to
distribute the cable modem signal since I also need to buy a router.

2. Powerline. Both rooms share a common wiring, so I'm looking at a the
powerline ethernet option. Anyone want to share their findings on using
the powerlines as ethernet? There isn't a whole lot of practical advice
on the net that I can find.

3. Phone. Both rooms are also wired for phone with 6-pair wiring. How do
I tell if it is the right kind of phone wire to support ethernet?

Sorry for all the newb questions. My knowledge of ethernet ends with
shielded cabling.

Jon