Re: parts washer filtering

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts washer filtering
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:44:34 -0700
I have a 30 gal. barrel/sink type washer that I filled about ten years ago
with 30 gals. of superagitene. I cannot remember the pump capacity right
now, but it is 150 GPH+, and I did not wish to constrict the flow
so I used a filter for an inline gasoline pump handle, the same type that
(hopefully) is used at gas stations.

I figured if it could pass the volume for a gasoline pump and would filter
finely enough for gasoline delivered to injectors, it ought to work fine for
a parts washer. So far for ten years it has done the ticket. The
superagitene appears to be the same color and smells the same as when I
filled it. The filter element  (the casing is transparent) has discolored and
is
holding obvious gunk, but I have seen no decrease in flow volume after one
TR6 engine rebuild and several bike engine rebuilds, plus all the normal
junk one throws in a parts washer.

I bought the filter with replaceable elements from McMaster-Carr. If you are
interested, I will go out and get the part numbers.

best,

doug

'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6