Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:25:58 -0700
> Are the backs of the shelves strong? You could screw through
> the backs into the wall studs.

Guess I've lived in Shaky Town for far too long ... for me, that goes
without saying <G>

We have bookcases on both sides of the head of the bed in the master
bedroom.  My wife (who grew up in the midwest) thought it would be OK to
have books on the top of her bookcase ... until we were on the fringes of a
quake and 2-3 books toppled off onto her pillow.  Fortunately she wasn't in
bed at the time; but she got the message.

But rather than screwing through the back (which usually isn't very strong);
I always use angle brackets bolted through the top shelf.

Randall