Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levelling bookcases
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:53:51 -0400
On Jun 17, 2007, at 8:45 AM, ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:

> Is there enough thickness in the bottom of the shelves to
> install some tee-nuts and then screw in bolts as adjustable
> levelers?

I could, but then I'd need something to protect the hardwood floor.
Also, I wouldn't be able to reach the ones in the back; there's a
plinth covering the space under the bottom shelf.

> Are the backs of the shelves strong? You could screw through
> the backs into the wall studs. I suppose the walls are not
> plumb either...

I did secure the top to the wall, but that's not what I'm after. I'd
like as much floor support as possible- leaning it on its heels/toes
with 300 lbs of books is going to stress the chipboard. Maybe I'm
obsessing over it but I'd like to spread the load as much as I can
over the intended support. Looks like homemade oak shims will fit the
bill. Initially I didn't think I had the tools but I figured out how
to do it.

Of course I'll stain and poly them to match the floor because I don't
have enough going on :-)

On Jun 17, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Randall wrote:

> But rather than screwing through the back (which usually isn't very
> strong);
> I always use angle brackets bolted through the top shelf.

The backs are useless. The sides, slightly better than useless. I
anchored the top shelf of each into the wall. I spent a bunch of time
up around San Francisco and I'm still in "anchor everything" mode.
And it just feels better not to have wobbly shelves.

Some pics at:

http://www.groupwbench.org/Library/

jim