Re: [Shop-talk] harris welding torches and blue point jack?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] harris welding torches and blue point jack?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:55:39 -0500
At 08:23 AM 12/1/2007 -0500, Donald H Locker wrote:

>Bottle cart.  Looks like a hand truck but with a saddle for the bottle and a
>safety chain.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
>
>Picking them up is not a very good plan.  Bad for the back, and if they
fall,
>bad for the rest of your body.

Donald,

Yes, we have the big hand truck for moving them around the shop.  I'm trying
to figure out how to get the bottles back to be refilled.

With my little bottle for my MIG, when I got to the welding supply house,
they tell me to take it to their loading dock, and get another bottle.
So I have to lift the bottle about 3' onto the loading dock, then get
a bottle down.  I was able to put the CO/Argon bottle in the back seat
floor of my 84 Honda Accord.  I just reciently bougth a new car, a
Scion XB.  I shouldn't have any problems with the MIG bottle in that.
But I don't think either of the O/A bottles will fit in the back of the
XB.

I don't see how I'd tilt the big O/A bottles to get them into the back
of a pick up for transport, and then out again.  Luckily I haven't had
to do it.  Dad is now in his 80s and I'm pretty sure he's not going to
do that any more. :)  And he hasn't been welding like he used to.  However,
when he passes, I'll inharret the rig.  So I'm just trying to figure out
how you handle the big bottles.  Actually, I'll probably see if I can't
exchange them from some small ones, about the size of my MIG bottle.

But I thought you all might have some good ideas on getting the bottles
into the back of a pickup, other than - Be Careful!!  :).

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic