Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:23:12 -0600
Interesting. The electricians I work with at Habitat for Humanity will
use only Milwaukee drills. I've seen them walk out of the house to get
one of their drills when there is a DeWalt sitting a few feet away. It
may be an electrician thing, most electricians I see drilling holes
through studs for wires use a Milwaukee Hole Hog.  According to an
electrician friend of mine Milwaukee is the only manufacturer of power
tools still made them the USA. I'd be surprised if even the Milwaukee
tools are made here. They used to be,as were DeWalt, but the bean
counters are always looking for a way to make things less expensively.
(I almost said "cheaper", but that happened to most tools long ago).

Thusly spake scott.hall@comcast.net:
> eh...I have the then-top of the line milwaukee 18v combo pack (drill, circ.
>saw, and 'hatchet').  the tools are okay, but I have to give the batteries a d
>and the charger an f-.  the charger frequently won't charge the batteries and
>the batteries died after two years of exceedingly infrequent use (maybe 10
>charges each).  I think that may be the problem--I use them so infrequently
>they died.  I always used each battery until it was drained, then charged it
>fully before storing it.
>
> anybody know how to make them last longer when they're not being heavily used
>and charged every day?

> From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
>

>> What I am trying to say is with all this is that I have not found a
>> better cordless drill for the $$. I know folks who have Milwaukee
>> cordless drills who swear by them, but they cost quite a bit more than
>> the DeWalt. Sure you can buy a cheaper drill, but, as you found, you
>> can't get parts or batteries for them in a few years.

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com