Re: [Shop-talk] fishing water line

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] fishing water line
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:32:52 -0800
> Not my theory.  Watts (the maker of my current RO system)
> says that the
> water is "hungry" and will over time eat away copper lines.

My apologies, Karl ... I did not mean to imply otherwise.  It's certainly a
very common myth, and might even be true in some cases, depending on the
exact definition of "over time", "eat away" and "copper lines".

But every study I've seen on the subject seems to imply that RO water is no
more corrosive to copper than ordinary chlorinated municipal water is likely
to be; plus the total flow through the line to my ice maker is very small.
I didn't work out how long it might take to penetrate the line if the water
absorbed 1 ppm of copper, but it seems like it must be a long, long time.

Thus as I frequently do, I chose to ignore the warnings of doom and gloom,
and leave the copper in place.   So far, it's worked out for me.  Maybe
someday I'll learn of my mistake the hard way ... OTOH I have tile over
concrete in the kitchen, so I'm less worried about a little water spill than
you might be with wood.

Randall