Re: [Shop-talk] About the well & water pressure & life sucking

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] About the well & water pressure & life sucking
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 05:58:01 -0500
The valve to let air into the tank is the Schrader valve on the top of the
tank.

With the tanks that do not have a diaphragm, you can generically turn the
water off, drain the tank completely, press the Schrader valve and let it
fill with no pressure applied.  This will get you in a reasonable ballpark
for function.

Since the air bubble gets absorbed in a few months (on big tanks), you do
this job quite often.  You eventually switch to using compressed air, which
can overfill the tank with air.  Not a problem with submerged pumps, but
with a jet pump, you lose prime in the pump.

Symptoms of inadequate air in the tank is the pump motor cycling on rapidly.
The less air in the tank, the more rapid the pump motor cycles.  This will
burn out the contacts in the controller.

A bladder tank does not need recharging.  That's what makes them nice.  If
the diaphragm ruptures, they start needing recharging because the air leaks
into the water, albeit at a lower rate due to the much smaller surface area
contact.