Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:40:50 -0500
I've had vehicles with lug bolts, never found it to be that big a deal.
With the cars, just sit on the ground and use my two feet to hold the wheel
up and position it.  No problem.  With the tractors, obviously I couldn't do
that.  But with the tractor you weren't picking those wheels up anyways,
especially if they were loaded with many hundreds of pounds of calcium
chloride.

There are conversions on the market to install a stud in the bolt hole so
you can use a nut.  No experience with them myself.

As to why bolts instead of studs, it's a long running argument in
engineering circles.  Bolts are stronger than studs and nuts, which is why
extremely high stressed applications will use bolts, typically grade 8 or
above.  On a car, it's all superfluous.