Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:44:34 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Pat Horne wrote:
> My guess is that is just that many fewer parts needed to put the car
> together, since the holes are tapped into the hub. Save $0.002 per car and
> you make a bunch of $$ overall.

    Do you?  Even on something like my F150, the best selling vehicle in
the country at around 1M units annually, $0.002 adds up to a whopping
$2,000 annual savings.  That's not enough to pay for someone to come up
with the idea, nevermind the engineering and tooling.

    And most of the cars with bolts are sold in vastly smaller volumes than
that.  It cannot be cheaper overall.

--
  David Hillman