Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers - operating Costs
From: Marcus Pless <mpless@servo.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:50:45 -0800
I don't know about a DirecTV DVR , but my original "14 hour" Tivo is always
"on" because it's always recording one of the following three, 24/7:

   1) something that I've told it to record
   2) a Tivo suggestion (something it thinks I might want to watch)
   3) a constant, sliding 30 minute window (which is how it allows
      one to "pause" live TV)

Unless I put it in standby it's always on and the hard drive is always
spinning. As computers go it's pretty low powered; I know that the cooling
fan seldom, if ever, comes on. I just  had it apart yesterday to add a
network card and I was amazed at how clean it was inside, considering that
it hasn't been opened in years. Everytime I look inside my desktop computer
there's a new shag carpet growing in there that needs to get blasted out.
I think my Tivo's CPU is somewhere between a 60-90MHz PowerPC.

--Marcus