[Shop-talk] QUALITY TOOLS

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] QUALITY TOOLS
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:58:06 -0500
Yes, some tools do have a feel.  I could never justify the $260 for a Simpson
260 meter.  I purchased a $35 Radio Shack meter on sale for $20 back
years ago.  It has served me well.  When I worked for Radio Shack back
in the mid 70s, we had a meter that was to compete with the Simpson, but
not quite as good.  The Simpson case was a lot better the ours.  We sold our
meter for $80.  Our store paid $17 to purchase the meter. ......

I've got Fluke's and I've got Tripletts and I've got H.F. junkers (they get
thrown in the bucket boss for quick circuit checks)...   But I love my 260 and
that pretty little mirrored meter for tweaking circuits.  The digitals are ok
for general ac/dc stuff around the house and car... but the Simpson has "the
feel" and you can twist those alignment tools and see the tiniest movement in
the analog needle...  trying to peek something with that last two significant
digit flickering between 1 and 9 is frustrating at best.  I wish the case was
a little more forgiving.. if it goes off the bench or shelf... it's a gonner.

I feel the same about quality tools... the old ones anyway... many of my tools
are 10-15 years old and most are American made... they have a 'feel' that the
newer stuff just doesn't have.  They fit your hand, the edges are finished and
they're usually well balanced.  The later years has brought out more plastic,
unfinished edges that seem to irritate my hand sometimes and lower quality
workmanship/parts.  I've returned more than one tool that upon unpacking it
was d.o.a.  I've bought high dollar Millwaukee drills that I had to finish
assembling.... case screws weren't even screwed in all the way.  Automakers
here in the US had to catch up when the imports came in and spanked them with
their nice quality work... the USA plants are much better now because of it I
think .  Maybe if we start getting some good quality imports to show up the
'quality tool makers' we know, things will improve there ???   nah... we'll
just get the same old crap for 20% more...

john

I like long walks,  especially when they are taken  by people who annoy me.