Re: [Shop-talk] good tools, cheap tools

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] good tools, cheap tools
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:50:31 -0400
No argument here that good tools are better than cheap tools, and
probably the better way to go most of the time.  Sometimes, though,
there is no way to justify the price of the good tool.  The choice is
either to own the cheap tool, or not own the tool at all.  If I could
have someone else do a job for $50, I might pay $100 for a tool, just
because I want to do it myself and I will still have the tool when
I'm done.  But when that tool is $500, I'm not buying it for only one
job.  Well, OK, I might, but only because I'm a tool addict!  Rental
is sometimes an option, but only for situations where I know I'll
only need the tool for a short time.  I tend to do a lot of things a
little at a time as time and energy allow.  If I need a tool for ten
minutes at a time, but on four different occasions several days
apart, rental just doesn't work.