Re: [Shop-talk] Corrugated fiberglass panels. How many screws?

To: pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Corrugated fiberglass panels. How many screws?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:22:56 -0400
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM,  <pethier@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am putting corrugated fiberglass panels up as a cover over a deck.  I
>bought the thickest white ones my local Menard's carries.  The finished roof
>will be about 17 x 8 feet.  This is a simple shed-style roof, with water
>draining down the corrugations at a 16-degree angle to a (wavy) drip edge.
>
> Each panel is 8 feet long, and covers 2 feet wide when overlapped one
>wavelength.  I have corrugated strips of wood which purport to match the shape
>of the fiberglass.  The concept is that one drills a hole through the top of
>the wave and put a pole-barn screw (with built-in rubber washer) through the
>top of the wave, through the corrugated strip and into the wood crosspiece
>below.  I have four such crosspieces.
>
> My question is:  How many screws do I need across each panel?
>
> If I put them three across, that would be a dozen screws through each panel
>(the overlap section would mean that two panels share the four screws on the
>edge).  Is this enough?
>
> BTW, I don't intend to cut any of these panels.  The panel length should be
>correct, and I will make the width come out correct by overlapping more than
>one wavelength.

We've got panels like this as "windows" in the pole barn.  They're on
the vertical walls, so they don't have to support a snow load.
They're a bit bigger than yours, 8' X 30",  I think.  They've got
three supports, each with three screws through it.  (At least, that's
how the row at eye level is done.  There's another one on the north
wall way high, and I can't see the screws from the ground.  )

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com