Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers

To: "'Karl Vacek'" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tabbed axle washers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:22:46 -0700
> Anyone even know what they're officially called ?

You mean like this?
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-S~165863.htm

"Tang-type spindle washer" is all I know to call them by, but even that
isn't a sure thing.

A quick Google for "spindle washer" turned up several candidates, but mostly
no indications of how thick or even what size the center hole is.
http://www.classicchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=20-43&dept_id=1052

And these are probably no thinner than what you have
http://www.reliabletool.com/products/washers.htm

Kind of looks like Dorman quit making them; as I found one web site
(Rockauto.com) where Google had a match, but the link shows "no item found".
I also don't see them on Dorman's site
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/314-319_Sec11_Part5.pdf

If you have washers that are too thick, some quality time with a grinder
would make them thinner... or if you can source a D-type spindle washer in
the appropriate sizes, you could grind/file the flat into a tang.

Some other thoughts : Why do you suddenly need a thinner washer?  Could it
be something is not seated properly?  Or do Midgets perhaps use a felt inner
seal like the TRs do, that could be holding the inner bearing apart?

Randall