[Shop-talk] Lamp question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Lamp question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:00:19 -0400
We have an old brass lamp, over 30 yrs old.  My wife wanted me to modify it.
No problem I thought.  But when I went to try and get a harp, yoke, and new
socket, I found that they had changed the standard for the rods and sockets.

The new standard is 1/8 IP.  Anybody know what that is or means?
I know it doesn't appear to cross to any usual nut or bolt.

The old rod was about 1/2" in diameter and a 1/2" x 20 fits very loosely.
So next question, anyone know what the old standard was?

My wife managed to find an adapter at an old lamp shop in town the other
day.  It's like a union that has 1/8" IP on one end and the old standard on
the other end.  You won't find these at most of the local hardware
stores though.
We tried. :)

TIA

John