Re: [Shop-talk] Welders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welders
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:45:45 -0400
At 07:11 PM 7/22/2008, "Bill Gingerich" wrote:

>I'm starting the process of deciding which MIG I want to buy when I'm
>employed again.  In the past I've always wanted a unit with a continuously
>variable voltage.  My question to all of you experts out there is this: is
>continuous voltage adjustment worth having?  Auto body (Triumph) work is one
>of the main uses, plus whatever heavier stuff I decide to play with.  What's
>the consensus?

Bill,

When I took MIG welding at the local community college, we had both
voltage and speed continually variable.  I have a Lincoln SP100 at home
which also has boot continually variable.  I find that this is a big plus!

This allows you to "fine tune" the machine to your welding style.  Other
wise you have to adapt to the machine.  If the speed feed is too fast
then you have to speed up your welding.  If the voltage is too high
you have to speed up your welding.  But if you have a pace you like
with both being variable, you can adjust them until you like it.

I'd say, DEFINITELY!  You want both variable.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan