Re: [Shop-talk] Welders

To: "'Shop-Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welders
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:23:30 -0700
Bill,

I don't believe the continuously variable feature is much more than a
novelty.  I have a Hobart Hander 140, which does NOT have continuously
variable voltage, so I am biased.   Also, you will be happy with any of the
big three, Miller, Lincoln and Hobart.  There are some great smaller brands
that are good too, but I don't know which are the good ones.

Once you have had some practice welding, you will move the stinger (the part
that holds the mig wire at the work) in and out automatically to adapt to
the differences in the material, cleanliness and gap, etc., as you run a
bead.  This soon to be automatic fine tuning of the weld bead will easily
accommodate the differences between a stepped and continuously variable
voltage setting.  By this I mean you will automatically accommodate the
small variances the welder needs to make nice welds, including the
differences between steps in the electrical controls..

My vote is that while continuous may be better for a newbie, it does not
make a difference once you can draw a decent bead.  If this is the only
factor in picking a unit, get the continuously variable unit, but don't let
this minor feature be a significant deciding factor.

Jack