Re: [Shop-talk] 6 to 3 fuel saving

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 to 3 fuel saving
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:11:55 -0700
> *I'm  thinking this would probably work for some saving but
> at a steady state throttle opening, won't it just require
> about the same fuel to achieve equilibrium with the wind
> resistance and rolling resistance?

Yup.  The only savings (if any) would be lower "pumping losses" due to
running with the throttle wider open.  That's the main reason small engines
get slightly better fuel mileage in the same car as larger ones.

>  Also, won't it freak the
> ECU when 3 cylinders aren't working?*

IMO depends on what system it uses.  Some combinations might run, sorta, but
others wouldn't at all.  If it's port injection, he'll have to disconnect
the injectors on the unused cylinders; which I suspect would put the ECU
into 'limp' mode.  And TBI with MAP wouldn't do, because the ECU will think
the airflow is twice what it actually is.  But TBI with MAF might make it.

> **
> *What do YOU think?*
> **

I think any small potential savings will be outweighed by the ECU thinking
the engine is being heavily loaded and hence needs richer mixture.  If it
will run at all.

Randall