Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:45:11 -0400
That's what I thought too.  I asked about this back in May over on
the HAMB board.  This is what I was told:

"...the Big Three have used roller cams in their V8s since the mid to
late '80s, at least the designs that actually use tappets/lifters.

A sliding tappet...there are a couple of definitions of this, but the
common one would be an OHC-style engine, generally where the "tappet"
as such is the actual end of the rocker arm...no separate pushrod or
lifter. A more common term is "follower".
.
.
.
At any rate, since OEM followers/sliding tappets do not need cam lobe
taper, the point of contact is larger and has much less loading in
terms of PSI as compared to conventional flat tappet designs."

Here's the whole thread if you are
interested:  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263632

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net