Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:31:10 -0700
  The Ferrari Dino has always had camshaft issues, most early Ferrari's
did and that is when ZDDP was in the oil so I am not convinced that it
is the solution.

 I still add ZDDP in my Dino just to be "sure" and consider it
insurance, I will also put it in the Spridget motor again as very cheap
insurance.

    mike

Randall wrote:
>> There has
>> been much talk in classic car circles about this,
>>

> Indeed there has been a LOT of talk, but precious little hard evidence.
> Just once, it would be nice for someone to assemble two identical engines
> and demonstrate the difference of running a low-ZDDP oil in one, and
> high-ZDDP in the other.  The entire ZDDP debate seems to be based mostly on
> increased camshaft failures; but the increase in camshaft failures started
> BEFORE the reduction in ZDDP!
>
> BTW, ZDDP comes into play when there is metal-to-metal contact, ie the oil
> film breaks down.  If full synthetics do have higher film strength, they
> should be better able to maintain the microscopic oil film and hence have
> less need of ZDDP.
>
> Randall
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
      mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/
or the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari http://www.dinospider.com