Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a car again (for the first time)

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a car again (for the first time)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:20:02 -0400
At 08:53 PM 10/25/2008, Jim Stone wrote:

 >Should I just use the old Binks (I am pretty sure the only time it
has ever been
 >used were my two paint jobs and it has been sitting for the last 20
years) or
<should I invest in a new HVLP system?  And, if I do go with a new system, can
 >I get by with something from Harbor Freight or do I have to invest
real money?

Jim,

When I painted my Morgan, back in the early 90s, I used a cheap syphon gun
similar to your Binks.  Now I'm working on a 75 Bricklin.  I'd seen ads for the
HVLP and got a HF HVLP gravity feed main gun and touchup gun as Xmas
presents several years ago.  I've used the bigger gun quite a bit and don't
really have any complaints about them.  I think you can get them for $49 for
the large gun and $39 for the touch up gun when their on sale.

I good HVLP system has it's own compressor usually with a heater inside the
turbine compressor.  These are supposedly the cat's meow, but I can't justify
the price for one or two paint jobs.

I was at BJs or Costco (don't remember which it was) reciently and saw an
HVLP setup that had both the large (1 qt) and touch up guns in a kit for
something like $75.  The nice thing about that set, it appeared to
have a couple
of different needles for the guns.  This is great when trying to
spray the high
build primers, as you should have a larger opening in the spray head than for
the  thinner top coats.  You might want to take a look for that.  The price was
right!

I use a 5 hp 30 gal compressor for my painting.  The one nice thing about the
HVLP is the my compressor keeps up with the air consumption better than it
does with the older guns.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229