Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 14:25:38 -0500
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>wrote:

> Hello all and Happy New Year.  I am getting ready to install a remote car
> start unit.  The installation manual says:
>
> If you use tapping connectors such as T-Taps (not to be confused with
> Scotch-locks), avoid using them in higher-current applications (constant
> 12V, ground, etc.)  These connectors are inferior in quality and should be
> avoided.
>
> So, can someone tell me the difference between T-Taps and Scotch-locks?  I
> always thought that "Scotchlok" was just 3M's brand name for T-Taps.  I can
> find lots of arguments online about how soldering is better.  In the
> discussions, it seems that many people seem to agree with my manual, and
> they treat scotch-locks and T-Taps as different things.  Can anybody clear
> this up for me?  Thanks.

Scotchlok is a 3-m trademark for a number of "insulation displacing
connectors", that is, ones that don't require stripping the wire.  The range
includes the various t-connectors (which is what I think of when I hear
"scotchlok", too) but also a number of other connectors, including pretty
standard types, and a bunch of stuff used for structured cabling.  Wouldn't
let any of them near a car, though.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com