Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:41:05 -0800
> If you use tapping connectors such as T-Taps (not to be confused with
> Scotch-locks), avoid using them in higher-current applications
> (constant 12V, ground, etc.)  These connectors are inferior in
> quality and should be avoided.

Regardless of what you call them, IMO insulation-displacement connectors are
to be avoided in higher-current applications period.  They can work under
optimum conditions, but conditions are rarely optimum.  (Do you really know
exactly what size wire is inside that insulation?  It's important ...)

As I think this thread has demonstrated, the names mean different things to
different people; in spite of the fact that 3M has a trademark on
"Scotchlok", and as noted offers many different styles of IDC connector
under that name.  3M's definition of "T-Tap" is as Donald noted; a single
IDC paired with a spade disconnect.

Randall