Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: 'Team shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:11:54 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Michael Porter wrote:
> One does have to start from the known facts.

    You believe your "known facts", I'll believe mine.

"Hit the Brakes

Certainly the most natural reaction to a stuck-throttle emergency is to
stomp on the brake pedal, possibly with both feet. And despite dramatic
horsepower increases since C/D.s 1987 unintended-acceleration test of an
Audi 5000, brakes by and large can still overpower and rein in an engine
roaring under full throttle. With the Camry.s throttle pinned while going
70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against
them and stopped the car in 190 feet.that.s a foot shorter than the
performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16
feet longer than with the Camry.s throttle closed. From 100 mph, the
stopping-distance differential was 88 feet.noticeable to be sure, but the
car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of
confidence. We also tried one go-for-broke run at 120 mph, and, even then,
the car quickly decelerated to about 10 mph before the brakes got
excessively hot and the car refused to decelerate any further. So even in
the most extreme case, it should be possible to get a car.s speed down to
a point where a resulting accident should be a low-speed and relatively
minor event."

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept

--
  David Hillman