Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

To: 'shop-talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:15:55 -0800
> Only a manual transmission does this.  Automatic transmissions disconnect
> because the engine is what drives the hydraulic pump.  Simple test, turn the

A few automatics have the pump driven off the output side of the
transmission, and I think some early ones actually had pumps on both
input and output shafts.  This maintains lubrication flow within the
transmission.

I believe some models of Saturn did as well; they could be flat-towed
without blowing up the transmission, which made them very popular in the
RV world.

Most automatics will blow up from lack of lubrication if you coast them
for a prolonged period without the engine running.

> FWIW....the Murano has a CVT transmission.....I don't know what effect this
> might have, but it is a lot different (and in my opinion, better) than a
> traditional transmission.....

I haven't yet driven a CVT that really felt 'right'.

> And as for Mr. Nolan's suggestion that I test it at 70, I guess I'll leave
> that to The Myth Busters. If I am faced with that issue, I know my
> Start/Stop button works.

As far as I'm concerned the proper response to the whole throttle-stick
thing is to stuff the transmission in neutral.  It's an easy
lizard-brain response that requires no mental checklist, you won't cover
three football fields (or rear-end the bus in front of you) zipping down
the road while you decide what to do.

On anything modern with a rev limiter you're not really risking damage,
and with the engine running the power steering and brakes will continue
to operate (in most vehicles - unless the steering assist is electric or
electrohydraulic - turning off the engine will immediately kill the PS
boost, you'll have some vacuum or hydraulic-accumulator reserve on the
brakes for a couple stops.)

I'm sure there's some car out there that won't go into neutral, but
every thing we've got does.

John.