Re: [Shop-talk] Tapered roller bearing conundrum

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tapered roller bearing conundrum
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:17:22 -0500
Jim,

Can't help with how to get the bearing apart again, but I suspect that
the rollers are tapered and you have at least one in backwards. Is there
a lip at the small end of the inner race that could be causing the
rollers to hang? Try rotating the race to see if the rollers will let
go. If the bearing seems to have some play in some of the rollers you
might be able to use a paper clip or similar pick to lift each of the
rollers from behind the lip on the race.

Using compressed air should not be used to spin bearings, as you have
found. I've seen some other ones come apart, but as I recall the main
reason to not do it is that, even though they are not under load when
you spin them up, the lack of lubricant can cause damage to the
rollers/balls and races. Not sure exactly how this happens, but I have
heard it from more than a few sources, so I put at least enough stock it
to not spin them with air!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jim Franklin, On 4/1/2010 5:07 PM: