[Shop-talk] shopsmith

Subject: [Shop-talk] shopsmith
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:50:35 -0400
On 4/13/2011 2:16 PM, Mark Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'll research some on the web and such, but my mother in law has a
> Shop Smith that was my father in law's before he died.  She's offered
> it to us for free, but we need to go get it, about 700 miles away.
>
> I don't know what model, how old, or any of the rest.
>
> Is there a newbie Shopsmith site or something around?  Mostly I'm
> curious if these are good quality / useful tools or if its some
> gimmicky thing that I'll forever be cursing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Haven't used one in decades, but the quality is generally good, better
than many entry level tools but not as good as decent dedicated
machines.  However, they are a pain to change function.  I've been told
the table saw kicks back (blade grabs wood and violently throws it at
you) but don't know it a real issue or just one users experience.  Most
important feature of a table saw it the rip fence and I think the shop
smith is weak there.  So I wouldn't even use it as a table saq

Personally I'd take it, if you have a truck/van and are visiting anyway,
for the horizontal features: lathe and horiztonal boring.  Drill presses
are reasonably cheap and I'd prefer a real contractors or cabinet table saw.

Peter T.