Re: [Shop-talk] Removing Vinyl

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Removing Vinyl
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 15:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
Go buy a case of the 3m rotary vinyl removers/erasers. You'll need two
or three per van, but your arms will hurt less, and your stress level is
also lower. Wear old clothes. The bits and pieces of old vinyl plus bits
and pieces of the removers will get everywhere including your hair. Since
the vinyl has been on there a while, assuming more than a year or two,
the glue will most likely have hardened from the sun and your razor
blade and heat gun will just increase your stress level. Don't ask how I know.
A variable speed drill is best, and  don't bother using the battery powered
ones unless you're near a charger and a source for new batteries. The high
drain discharge will kill them in a few cycles. The vinyl remover/eraser is
like
your old high school pencil eraser. It works the same way, a piece of vinyl
at a time. Get the adhesive remover to  help remove the lines of dirt and
glue when you're done, but as mentioned, you'll still have an outline. Some
cleaning polish might help, but the vinyl will be gone.

Regards,
Brian