[Shop-talk] Mitre Saws

Subject: [Shop-talk] Mitre Saws
From: strovato at optonline.net (Steven Trovato)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:19:24 -0400
Moose,

Very cool.  How about a link to this company?  Sure seems like an odd
combination!  Hey guys, if you've got some spare time between batches
of syringes, why don't you whip up a couple of wood chippers?  When
you're done with that you can start work on that rocket ship.  And
medical grade too.  Kind of makes me picture a big wheel of scalpels
inside there.

Of course you're right about the research.  And the internet and
lists like this are invaluable.  I've done a few road trips for MG
parts, and one to buy a distributor testing machine.  I don't really
need one, but it spins and flashes and it just makes me smile.

I wish I could take your advice about "seeing it operate" but often
the stuff I find is under half an inch of dust and hasn't run in
twenty years.  The person selling it can read the labels and name
plates and say that all they know is that it was one of grandpa's old
machines.

I think our philosophies on this stuff are really quite
similar.  It's just depends on how badly you need something and how
long you can wait.

The other option I have had only limited success with is renting
equipment.  For certain things, it works great.  But often I found
myself needing to use something for half an hour, ten times over the
next two weeks.  That just doesn't work for rentals.

-Steve