[Shop-talk] HIGH pressure compressed air?

Subject: [Shop-talk] HIGH pressure compressed air?
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:51:01 -0400
On 5/30/2011 11:47 PM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Like 3000 p.s.i. high. Like they use to fill scuba tanks.
> Is it even feasible? What sort of compressor generates that kind of
> pressure?

Manufacturing company I used to work for used tanks of compressed
nitrogen to pressure test hydraulics before fluid filling.  I think it
was around 3,000 - 4,000 psi.  Pretty sure they got it from the welding
supply place, along with the other gas bottles.

Just be damn sure you use appropriate pipe, fittings, etc rated to
handle it!  Jackass maintenance guy at the place used a plumbing grade
fitting on one of the test rigs, and it exploded off and nearly killed a
guy.  Luckily it narrowly missed and embedded itself in the wood roof 25
feet up.  Honestly, it's pretty dangerous stuff and I wouldn't want it
in my place.

-Wayne