Re: [Shop-talk] Garage Floor Paint

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage Floor Paint
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 13:40:05 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

> On Jan 19, 2023, at 11:33, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all...  I've decided to coat my garage floor with something - the
> bare concrete just sheds too much dust to consider the garage "clean".
> Every time I sweep, it looks like Pigpen from the Peanuts comic

Dusty concrete is usually the sign of poor quality, and results from a bad mix
and bad troweling.  If I remember the chemistry, there isnâ??t enough silicate
for the portland cement to react with, and form the calcium silicate that makes
the concrete hard.  There are water based silicate densifiers, which can
improve the dusting.  Application is cleanly the floor, put the stuff on, let
dry.  Depending on the product (and temperature, etc), the floor can be
returned to use in a few hours to overnight (moat allow foot traffic as soon as
itâ??s dry) theyâ??re not terribly expensive, so I would start there.  You can
put another coating over most of them, I believe.