Re: Alternator Swap

To: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Subject: Re: Alternator Swap
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:30:33 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>Just which model of GM alternator did you use--surely
>>there is more than one?
>
>You know, I'm pretty sure you're right, ie, that there is more than one
>model the GM/AC-Delco alternator, but I'll be damned if I know what the
>model number is for the one I used.  The reason is that there were not
>many physical differences in appearance on these things, at least through
>the late 80's -- the same style was used from about 1970 through 1990,
>and I think it is still, to an extent, being used now.

Hi,

I used to be a mechanic in GM dealerships - here's my version.

The GM internal regulator alternators used in the seventies and early
eighties all had the same size case (except for high-output ones starting in
the 85A range).  If I remember correctly there were two alternators in the
80A range that had different size cases due to heavy duty windings - this
was the breakpoint.  Later in the 80s, new designs of internal regulator
alternators were introduced (non-serviceable, expensive).

As it was suggested before, one in the 60A range should be fine for a
Spridget.  I suggest going for one of these from a 70s vehicle.  They will
be much cheaper to purchase than the 80+A models and should fit better.

Ps.  don't forget you (or another competent party) may have to rotate the
field housing on the frame (very easy if you know what you're doing) to get
the wiring to point any of 4 desired directions.  These alternators were put
together in different orientations for the different applications - hence
different alternator numbers.

Les Myer
lmyer@qtm.net
67 Sprite