Re: Midget Disks WAS: Who's on this new list?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Midget Disks WAS: Who's on this new list?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, Adrian <adrian@utk.edu>, Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   Well, you could always set the balance right. But you
> might find that the balance is so light on the rears
> that the discs are useless.

Exactly!
I have extensive experience with Fiat X 1/9s which have 4wheel disks.  And
even on these cars, with a more rear than mid engine, the rear disks do so
little work that a common problem is that they get stuck due to
underworking :)

>   I have all wheel discs in my Toyota, and they are nice,
> but they are more complex than discs. A lot of this is
> because the back brakes are both discs and drums, the
> drums being the handbrake. These units are complex and
> from what I hear often have serious corrosion problems.
>
>   How do four-wheel-disc midgets handle the handbrake issue?

Many cars just use the disk brakes for a hand brake and end up with a
lousy handbrake. (disk brakes take more force.  That's why most disk brake
cars have power brakes and disk handbrakes don't work well).

                                                           '67 Sprite