There is Hope, a true story (way too long)

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: There is Hope, a true story (way too long)
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:33:54 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
A couple of weeks ago I received our club newsletter that listed all of
the upcoming events in our area.  One of interest to me was the 8th
Annual Antique Auto Show sponsored by the Battlefield Region of the
AACA.  In the advertisement it was stated that if we could muster five
British cars we could have a class and that there would be an advertised
British Class next year.  Well, I like all kinds of cars, Mustangs,
Corvettes, early Chevy's, Fords, Street Rods etc.  I decided that in
order to help out the club, get a close parking space, and to try to get
a class next year I would attend and enter my Midget.

Saturday morning was a brisk 42 degrees with bright sunshine.  I put the
hood up on the Midget cranked up the heater and headed the 35 miles to
the show.  In route I ran across a serious detour in a construction area
that routed traffic over a quarter mile of new loose gravel with holes
that could have swallowed my car. The guy in front of me was in a jacked
up pickup truck that I could have driven under.  He liked the gravel and
holes and due to his low testosterone levels had to pop the clutch a few
times throwing rocks and dust four cars back.  Luckily, the stones went
over my head and bounced off the hood of the Nissan following me.  The
young "lady" and the Pickup Driver exchanged hand signals with me still
in the middle of them, I'm not sure that I was noticed at all.  Once
free of this mess I proceeded to the show.

I signed up and learned that I was in class number 20, and that the
other British cars were in the far end of the field.  I drove past the
Model A's, a Stanley Steamer, Studebakers then the Chevy's and Fords.
The glare from all the chrome nearly blinded me as I passed the Street
Rods.  Finally in the distance I saw a more familiar group.  There were
five cars already there so I parked next to a TR6.  Looking down the row
there was a Riley, MGA Coupe, TVR, MGB the TR6 and Me.  I jumped out of
my Midget raised the Bonnet, and lowered the hood, said a quick hello to
the other British guys and went looking around.  About an hour later I
returned to find the most beautiful Jag XK 150 S parked next to me and a
perfect E type down the row.  The Midget was in very good company.

The judging began about 1:00 and I was up in the far corner eating a hot
dog and asking why they don't sell beer at car shows.  They announced
that the car owners should be at their cars to open them up for the
judges.  I got another hot dog and a bag of chips and headed in the
general direction of my car stopping to take a close look at a great 59
Corvette.  I got back to my car just as the Judge was looking it over.
I picked a couple of bugs off the windscreen and polished off my hand
print from the bumper when they weren't looking.  "Nice Car" he said to
me as he crawled from under the gas tank, I offered him a quick spin
around the park but he declined with a smile.  Then he stepped back and
made lots of little marks on his form, occasionally coming back to look
at something else.  By this time I was over looking at the beautiful XK
150 again.  My time was becoming short so I reluctantly cranked up the
Midget, said my good bye's and headed for the house.

Sunday was club drive and a picnic lunch.  Upon arrival at the meeting
place there were many of the cars that were at the show the day before,
including the XK 150.  Several cars back I heard a voice say "Hey you in
the Midget, I have something for you"  Yep! You guessed it, tied for
first with the MGA Coupe.  I have been chuckling to myself for the last
24 hours and just had to tell somebody.  (:  Even a blind hog finds an
acorn every now and then.

Mark
70 Midget
Nashville