Shocks

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shocks
From: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 15:39:49 UT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All

Finished the rear suspension on Bugeye #2 last night. New springs, buffers,
radius arms, straps, bolts, etc.  Also installed a tube shock kit with Spax
gas adjustable shocks.  All went well with a few minor problems. Originally I
had look at the offset springs but decided that I was not going to run that
wide a tire so really did not need them. Then I looked at the 4 leaf springs
which are advertised at 20% less stiff then stock.  Bugeyes are very over
sprung (is that a word) in the rear.  On a smooth cement floor I can spin a
Bugeye in a circle by just lifting, bouncing, and pushing on a rear fender.
All of the lighter springs that I looked at had the locating holes offset by
about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from each other. i.e. one hole was 1/8 to 1/4 inch
farther from the end of the spring then the other hole.  No way that I could
make these fit so returned them all to the vendor.  Talked to Mini Mania (one
of the vendors) and the Tech Guy was not there at the time but the person that
I spoke with looked at the drawings for the springs and told me that the
drawing showed the holes offset. Anybody know why this would be?.  Anyway, the
question here is about shock extension. I really had a hard time compressing
the springs enough to get the tube shocks on. When the car is in the "At Rest"
position, that is, rear wheels on the ground with all of the weight on the
rear suspension, the shocks remain at their maximum extension.  Any thoughts
on this?.  Will this change after the car is actually driven on a real road
and the suspension settles some?.  Any and all thoughts on this subject will
be appreciated.  Now all that I need are the brake parts and one end of the
car will be finished.

Larry Miller