Re: Shocks

Subject: Re: Shocks
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry,
this will kill your shocks faster than you can say "$100 per shock"!
There is a good discussion on this on the webpage "www.mgamgb.com" or
mgbmga?  When the car is sittinng on the ground the shock needs to be at
the middle of its travel!
Ulix (desperately looking for a cheaper tube shock solution)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Larry G. Miller wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Finished the rear suspension on Bugeye #2 last night. New springs, buffers,
> radius arms, straps, bolts, etc.  Also installed a tube shock kit with Spax
> gas adjustable shocks.  All went well with a few minor problems. Originally I
> had look at the offset springs but decided that I was not going to run that
> wide a tire so really did not need them. Then I looked at the 4 leaf springs
> which are advertised at 20% less stiff then stock.  Bugeyes are very over
> sprung (is that a word) in the rear.  On a smooth cement floor I can spin a
> Bugeye in a circle by just lifting, bouncing, and pushing on a rear fender.
> All of the lighter springs that I looked at had the locating holes offset by
> about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from each other. i.e. one hole was 1/8 to 1/4 inch
> farther from the end of the spring then the other hole.  No way that I could
> make these fit so returned them all to the vendor.  Talked to Mini Mania (one
> of the vendors) and the Tech Guy was not there at the time but the person
>that
> I spoke with looked at the drawings for the springs and told me that the
> drawing showed the holes offset. Anybody know why this would be?.  Anyway,
>the
> question here is about shock extension. I really had a hard time compressing
> the springs enough to get the tube shocks on. When the car is in the "At
>Rest"
> position, that is, rear wheels on the ground with all of the weight on the
> rear suspension, the shocks remain at their maximum extension.  Any thoughts
> on this?.  Will this change after the car is actually driven on a real road
> and the suspension settles some?.  Any and all thoughts on this subject will
> be appreciated.  Now all that I need are the brake parts and one end of the
> car will be finished.
>
> Larry Miller

                                                           '67 Sprite