SMOG Search

To: kpatton@worldnet.att.net
Subject: SMOG Search
From: "" <trummel@caa.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 97 11:38:06 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Patton,

Saw your post on the spridgets list inquiring about the Sprite Midget
Owners' Group (SMOG), and thought I'd add what little I know and send an
info copy to the healeys list.  I'm pretty sure there are a couple of
people on the healeys list who can add to this little bit that I know.

I believe that the SMOG was first formed in California in the 1970s.  At
the time, the Austin-Healey Club, Pacific Centre (now Austin-Healey Club
USA) was for big Healeys only (but is now most certainly for *all* Healey
enthusiasts) and so the Sprite guys formed their own group.

A guy named Dick Santana was one of the main movers and shakers.  He may
have been the founder.  Last I knew, Dick lived in Gilroy, California
(garlic capital of the world!).  His last known address and
phone:

10135 Parish View Drive
Gilroy, CA  95020
(408) 227-3276

The Texas branch of the SMOG that you referred to was probably headed up by
a guy named David Lougee.  His last known address and phone:

10123 Caribou Trail
Dallas, TX  75238
(214) 348-5004
(214) 320-6050

I don't believe that the SMOG really exists any more.  All Healey
clubs in North America that I know of now welcome Sprites, and have for
many years.  Therefore the perceived need for a separate group seems to
have gone away.

By the way, the SMOG used to publish a newsletter called "SMOG Alert,"
but I don't think that it has been issued for many years.

For more historical info on SMOG, you might also want to contact:

Rick Moses (a.k.a. "Mr. Sprite"), organizer of "Sprite Rush '98"
1-888-5SPRITE

Tom Colby at "Speedwell Engineering" in southern California
1711  1st St
San Fernando, CA  91340
(818) 898-9151

Good luck.  Please let us know what you find out!

Cheers!  Reid