RE: Pulling Engine -- ideas?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Pulling Engine -- ideas?
From: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 18:59:22 UT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck

I use a ratcheting hand lever crank and pulley that I bought from a local auto
parts store for about $25.  This one has a nylon rope but they make them with
a steel cable.  I attach it to a rafter in the garage and it works fine. I've
used it for at least 20 years and have pulled and installed a number of
engines with it. I have been thinking about upgrading to a steel cable one
though. You also need a three or four foot length of chain to attach to both
ends of the engine. What really works well but costs a little, is a leveler
that you attach between the engine and the hoist.  It allows you to change the
angle of the engine and tranny on the fly.  Moss sells it  but don't know the
price.  Eastwood has it for $39.99. I highly reccomend one.  It allows you to
tilt the engine at a steep angle to get down under the heater shelf and then
pull the back of the tranny up to slip into the tunnel.  Hope this helps.  If
you want Eastwoods number give me a buzz or look at http://www.eastwoodco.com

Larry Miller