Re: Windscreen rubber

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <bufton@tenet.edu>
Subject: Re: Windscreen rubber
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:46:38 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> From: Dennis Bufton <bufton@tenet.edu>
> To: Jeff Church <jchurch@exis.net>
> Subject: Re: Windscreen rubber
> Date: Saturday, October 25, 1997 12:26 AM
>
> Jeff,
>
> 1. Did you ever get a response to your windscreen rubber question?

I got two conformations about putting left-over rubber under the windscreen
posts.  I did not get an answer about the direction of installation for the
windscreen seal itself. But I got a chance to meet two other nice folks who
were wanting to know also.

> 2. Did you know there is now a spridgets mail group?

Yes. I belong to it.

> 3. If you didn't get an acceptable answer to 1. I'd like to see it
> reposted to the spridgets mail group.  I'm sure someone will have the
> answer.

I provided my own acceptable answer. This is what I posted to the other two
guys wanting to know:

I finally figured out the direction to put the rubber in the windscreen.
As you may remember, I mentioned that the seal I have has a cross section
that looks line a "9" with a little "T" on top to slide into the windscreen
groove. The picture in the Moss catalog shows the seal installed one way
and the Vicky Brit shows it just the opposite.  I got no help from Moss on
the direction it should be installed.  I still had the old one I had
removed but it was so compressed (what? 38 years?) that it did not reveal
it's secret.  Clausager's ORIGINAL SPRITE AND MIDGET showed a long edge
extending forward from the windscreen ... just like my original one did. It
finally dawned on me that the only way to get this effect is to install the
rubber with the long edge of the "9" on the seal facing forward. The trick
is to set it in place and then pull that long edge out towards the front.
Then the "o" portion of the "9" makes contact with the body and the long
edge has a positive pressure downward against the body.  I only installed
it 3 times before I finally figured it out.  I guess that is why I didn't
get nominated for the Nobel Prize for science this year.  If you have
already figured this out, please excuse the post to my inexperience.

> For my 2 cents, I think the original "draught exluder" was trimmed flush
> with the windscreen pillars.

Clausager's indicates that the draught excluder was held in place by a
"P"clip up forward (whatever that is) and in the back, it was
unceremoniously tucked behind the rear quarter panel and had one of the
retaining screws for the panel go through it.  Not elegant, but functional.

> The rubber flap, rather than lying flat,
> was turned under.

See above.

Thanks for your interest and pointing me in the direction of the Sprite
list (whoops, sorry - Spridget list. I personally can't stand the word
"Spridget".  Absolutely nothing against the cars, I just don't like the
word.)

Jeff