RE: another brake question

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: another brake question
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:07:00 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
alan b fisher wrote:
>I just got finished installing a master cylinder in my 59 and bled
>the entire system, including the clutch slave.
<SNIP>
>If the pressure was there all the time wouldn't my brake lites stay on
also.

Nope, not necessarily.  Most (if not all) Spridgets have a brake switch
that's actuated by the pedal directly (i.e. mechanically, rather than
hydraulically), so the brake lights may go off, even if something's
stopping the return flow of fluid.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you didn't replace the rubber brake
hoses.  These can swell internally, with the result being that the brakes
will go on, but not come back off.  Before you pull the master cylinder to
ship it off to Apple, I'd try replacing the rubber lines.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net