RE: Kingpin bushings!!!

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Kingpin bushings!!!
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:15:11 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Clue me in!  I'm new to all this and am ready to disassemble the front end
of
>my Sprite.  What is the point of reaming the Kingpins?  Is this something
>that has to be done with every front end rebuild? Help!!!!!  What are you
>guys talking about?
>

>---David
>   1967 Sprite MkIV, Victoria, aka, Vicky

David -

The hub/steering knuckle has a pair of bushings pressed into it.  Since
most PO's didn't lubricate this area well/frequently enough, it seems that
these have to be replaced a lot.  Actually, it's just that each of us has
probably had to do it once on each Spridget we owned.

The bushings are a press-fit, which requires that the relaxed outside
diameter of the bushing be just a touch larger than the inside diameter of
the hole they fit into.  The pressure holds them in place.  With all the
pushing and compression, you can imagine that the inside diameter of the
bushing tends to get smaller, and that it may even be slightly out-of round
once it's installed.  So, you have to ream the bushings back to the correct
inside diameter to accommodate the kingpins.

That HAS to be done with a special reamer that will ream out both bushings
in one pass.  Otherwise, the two bushings may be the right size, but not be
lined up, and the kingpin will bind.  Have this done by somebody who does
British cars, and knows what they're doing.

If you're in the Central Ohio area, I know a fellow who does the job right
for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.
Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net