Re: Bump Steer

To: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Bump Steer
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:16:42 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bump steer is adjusted by changing the relationship between the steering
rack and the steering arms.  On the Midget, you could do that by shimming
the rack up  or down, or by bending the steering arms up or down.

If you bend the arms, gently heat them to a dull red before bending, and
after you gethem where you want them, again gently heat them to a dull red
and then immerse in a large container of dry sand or vermiculite to allow
very slow cooling.  Or, send them out to be normalized at a heat treating
shop if you're nervous.

I wouldn't bother for any car other than a serious racecar, with actual race
tires.  I didn't bother on my race Midget, since I usually don't run very
sticky tires.

Brian