Re: 1275 Water Pump Leaks

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 Water Pump Leaks
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:58:55 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The two pumps are total equivalent replacements, except that the aluminium
one is usually better!  If buying one, get the one with the deeper impeller,
even for small block engines - sometimes you need to grind the back of the
"hole" that they mount into.  Make sure that the dowels that locate the pump
are there, and that they seat all they way into the pump - sometimes they
can hang up a bit and not let the pump seat fully on the gasket.  about 20
ft lbs is normal for 5/16" bolts, but really you just need to do them up
tight with a 8" wrench handle.  I always put these gaskets on dry, no
sealer, personally.

brian