Re: Datsun 5 speeds

Subject: Re: Datsun 5 speeds
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:34:16 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I also got the gearbox numbers from Bill, but to my surprise, the numbers
of the trans that I ended up getting were totally different.  It came out
of a 210 though and is the correct one.
If they ask for a core (and you don't have one) tell them what you are
doing, they let me get away with not giving them one.
I paid $200, but prices can vary greatly.  Look in publications that
accept free ads or are free themselves, such as Thrifty Nickel, Little
Nickel, etc.  This would be the cheapest method, to buy from a private
party who is parting out a car.

Ulix

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Daryl May wrote:

> Here's how I EASILY found my Datsun "210" gearbox.
>
> 1.  Get the gearbox part numbers that will fit.  Also, they'll tell you the
> diameter and number of splines on the input and output shafts.  From
> Rivergate or MiniMania.
>
> 2.  Go to a pick-your-part junkyard where you can examine cars at your
> leisure, and where you won't find yourself balled out by a gorilla behind
> the parts counter.
>
> 3.  Look for small, rear wheel drive Datsuns around 1980 models.  Car does
> NOT have to say Datsun 210.  The part number is on top of the gearbox near
> where it attaches to the engine.  You'll probably need a rag, some solvent
> to dab on it, and maybe a scredriver to reach, but it is not a major
> challenge.  Yes, some small Datsun gearboxes ARE too big, but many are not.
>
> 4.  Pull the thing out - not hard, and no impossible fasteners.  These
> places usually have some old wheels and tires that you can "lower" the
> thing on to when it comes loose so it doesn't drop on the ground.  They
> also have heavy-duty carts for carrying the thing to the check-out.
>
> 5.  At the same time, get the shift-lever, the speedo cable, and also the
> driveshaft yoke.  You may have to take the whole driveshaft, because many
> times the U-joints have no circlips but are factory-pressed and peened
> over.
>
> 6.  If you can bring with you ANY old gearbox and driveshaft, you'll save
> the core deposits they will otherwise charge.
>
> 7.  The parts should cost about $110 in total, plus around $30 core
> deposit.
>
> 8.  If you are in the Los Angeles area and need directions to one of these
> yards, E-mail me.
>
> Daryl

                                                           '67 Sprite